Friday, November 11, 2005

It wasn't me, it was the one-armed man

At Risk Youth

Definition—At-risk youth are unable to achieve the educational, economic, or social expectations of their community due to poverty, minority status, a deficiency in family support, or inadequate employment.

Being unable to achieve things can always be blamed on something, someone, some place, or some concept. One of the huge differences between liberals and conservatives in the attitude towards personal responsibility. Liberals simply don't believe in it. Conservatives recognize that personal responsibility is part of what makes America great.

Liberals don't think that people should have consequences for their actions. (unless the offender is a high profile conservative) Conservatives recognize that bad behavior without negative effects will only increase the bad behavior.

Liberals don't think that people succeed on merit, ability or ambition. They believe that failure is simply the result of some outside force (probably racism, sexism, classism, or some other ism) and that no amount of effort can overcome these isms. Conservatives realize that America is the land of opportunity. If you try your best, develope skills, and put forth your best effort while avoiding bad behavior then you will succeed.

4 comments:

MAX Redline said...

For a person with a wee, oddly shaped head and miniature ears, you make some good points, Daniel.

(GG)

I'm continually amazed by the liberal "mindset" (and I use the term loosely)in which failure is always somebody else's fault.

Somebody else is racist, so this person fails. Somebody else is sexist, so that person fails. Failure is always somebody else's fault.

There's this person where I work who was married for a number of years until she "discovered" that she's lesbian. You should see the stickers on her ride: "Bush Cheated", "Civil Unions are a Civil Right", and many more. I'm not even sure what color her ride was, at this point.

Interestingly, she has all these problems at work. And you know what? It turns out that every one of them is caused by management or some other co-worker.

Typical, I think.

The Cheezer said...

I once had an employee that said I owed her a job. After I explained that I only owed her a check for hours worked and that she owed me to do a good job to keep her job, she kind of woke up.
Nobody had ever explained to her that I could fire her for no reason in oregon and if she failed to do her job, she would be fired.
She was a better employee after that, until she was late again and I fired her.
some times you have to prove a point.

Daniel said...

Unfortunately our society is becoming more accepting of people who are on permanent "victim status."

They teach it in the schools. (can't use the red pen to correct papers, could make the kids feel bad...)

Anonymous said...

Okay, how do you develop skills? I have a liberal arts pre-law degree (and did not go to law school because I could not afford it) and a dead-end, minimum-wage job with a small employer where no internal advancement opportunities are expected for a decade or so. I don't have the money to go back to school to get a marketable skill. So how do I get a skill?