The Casa Program:
The Casa Educacional Office seeks to increase Latino/Latina and Chicano/Chicana success at Oregon State University by providing students with a viable support system and advocacy services. This Office is committed to the recruitment, retention and academic success of Latino/Latina and Chicano/Chicana students.
So this Office seeks to help one race. They provide helpful links to school faculty of one race. Under the person's name they have this: Self-Identified Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic (Mexico)
They also provide helpful information on scholarships... for one race: http://www.scholarshipsforhispanics.org/
Also, if you are interested in joining a fraternity then OSU is the place to be... if you are the right race: Gamma Alpha Omega is a Latina sorority founded on January 25, 1993 on the Arizona State University campus.
They also have good links to our favorite group: MECHA
1) We are Chicanas and Chicanos of Aztlán reclaiming the land of our birth (Chicana/Chicano
2) Aztlán belongs to indigenous people, who are sovereign and not subject to a foreign culture;
3) We are a union of free pueblos forming a bronze (Chicana/Chicano) Nation;
4) Chicano nationalism, as the key to mobilization and organization, is the common denominator to bring consensus to the Chicana/Chicano Movement;
5) Cultural values strengthen our identity as La Familia de La Raza; and
6) EPA, as a basic plan of Chicana/Chicano
liberation, sought the formation of an independent national political party that would represent the sentiments of the Chicana/Chicano community.
And what was Bush saying about assimilating?
It rejected the old notion that we were merely a minority group that was a part of the Anglo American melting pot. It is a symbol of resistance as well as a symbol of unity amongst Latinos, Mexicanos, Hispanos and Tejanos, and has come to represent the struggles and fight all Latino people.
And I would be remiss not to put up a link to their photo album.