Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Perhaps liberals will call them racist

Report highlights division in Hispanic community
Illegal immigration is more than just a divisive topic nationally.

It also is dividing Hispanics, according to a report released Tuesday by the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington, D.C.

As for illegal immigration, 34 percent of U.S.-born Hispanics said such immigrants hurt the economy by driving down wages. Just 15 percent of foreign-born Hispanics think illegal immigrants hurt the economy.

Sixty percent of U.S.-born Hispanics approve of more restrictions on licenses, vs. 29 percent of foreign-born Hispanics.

Meanwhile, south of the border, where a separate survey was conducted by the Pew Hispanic Center, 46 percent of Mexican citizens interviewed in May said they would move to the United States today if they could. Twenty-one percent said they would be willing to live and work in the United States without authorization.

So let's sum it up: 21% of Mexico's citizens are willing to break the law. 60% of Americans who are Hispanic want to restrict licences for illegal aliens. (That's higher than the percentage of people in the legislature who want to do that) And there is a good percentage of Americans who are Hispanic who say that illegal aliens drive down wages.

The defenders of illegal aliens and the open borders lobby uses the preferred liberal tactic of screaming "racist" any time someone suggests enforcing our immigration laws. Unfortunately this is a successful tactic these days as evident by the disclaimer that websites, talk show hosts, and anybody who brings up the subject must preface their arguments with. "I'm not anti-immigrant" or "this isn't about Hispanics."

If you aren't "anti-immigrant" then why bring it up? I don't preface every argument I make with "I don't walk on four legs" because that has nothing to do with it. The fact that everyone feels the need to defend themselves even when a direct accusation is not being made shows the effectiveness of the "racist" accusation.

But I digress, the charge of "racist" is laughable as is evident by this poll, and while I usually never respond to the charge of "racist" because that gives it some credence, I will point to this one and laugh.

Read the report:
Attitudes toward Immigrants and Immigration Policy: Surveys among US Latinos and in Mexico

3 comments:

Sailor Republica said...

Exactly. The Legal Latinos want the Illegal Idiots out.

Daniel said...

Everyone, with the exception if liberal idiots, want the illegal aliens out!

Anonymous said...

As Conan O'Brian said last night, 40% of Mexicans said they want to come to America, because the other 60% are already here!